Tuesday, July 31, 2012

ETL501 Commentary #3

Website Evaluation
This week I examined The Cyberguide Ratings developed by Karen McLachlan (2002) and also Herring's reliabilty criteria. Additional readings also brought me in touch with Kathy Schrock's extensive work on website evaluation. So what does it all mean when I look at it together?
   Firstly McLachlan's checklist is quite comprehensive when considering content but in terms of technical aspects, it falls short. Some of the points are also quite subjective...Eg. ease of understanding, organisation of site... Surely these criteria require a graded scale.
   Herring deals well with reliability but perhaps any website links also need to be examined for credibility.
   I was really impressed with the scope of work  Karen Schrock has developed. I looked at the Secondary School Level, Critical Evaluation survey. I think her emphasis on Technical and visual aspects of the page is important, as these are instant turn offs if they are done poorly.

No comments:

Post a Comment