Wednesday, November 28, 2012

INF506 Delicious commentary


Dealing with Delicious
After registering and a brief struggle of setting up the Delicious save button on my browser, I was set. I saved a few websites of interest. But what next? There wasn’t a help button or an instructional video that I could find easily. The help button was at the bottom of the page and the information wasn’t very comprehensive.

After experimenting for a while I found I could import my links from Facebook. Most of these links were rubbish and I didn’t want to keep them so I learnt how to delete them with the edit icon in the top right hand side of each box.
Tagging wasn’t intuitive. The important ingredient is to use the “Enter” button before pressing “save”. Multiple tagging and then using the “bundle” option in the side bar were obvious next steps.

Connecting with others was a nightmare. Putting people’s names into the search bar revealed nothing. I had to put the complete URL in. This makes searching for like-minded colleagues problematic. The help button says:
·        When you come across a user on Delicious who's collecting great stuff, click on their profile pic or user name to go to their profile page. Then, click the green "Follow" button.

Well, excuse my ignorance, but just how do we come across other users when I can’t find them through the search bar? How do I know when I save a site on ‘discus throwing’ that there are other people collecting the same thing? No red light flashes. To me it seems that I am bookmarking in a vacuum. I see the value of Delicious in keeping favourite sites but the connectivity with others eludes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment