Wednesday, November 14, 2012

INF 506 Assessment item 1


I am naturally reticent. I hate talking on the phone or addressing the class for prolonged periods. I dread public speaking events and as an author this makes me a marketing liability for my publisher. But with Social Networking I can connect with the world without having to speak.

Websites where people with common interests or shared histories can publish their own content and connect with others are called Social Networks (De Rosa, Cantwell, Havens, Hawk and Jenkins, 2007). Those in vogue currently, and they are rather transient beasts, include Facebook, Twitter, Google+1, Flickr, YouTube and Linked In. There are countless others.

A few years ago, on the advice of my publicist, I started up a blog and an author’s page on Facebook. I enjoy blogging. I can surround myself in book reviews and thoughtful comments and feel as if I’m closeted. I have neglected the author site and aside from linking it to my blog I rarely use it. However I post to my personal page weekly and check statuses every day. I try to keep my author self and my personal self separate as many in the writing world do (Woodhead, 2011a). I also find I waste a lot of time when I could be writing (Baverstock, 2011).

I’ve tried Twitter and hate it. It’s like a crowd shouting different messages with no-one listening. Twitter connects strangers, not old friends (Woodhead, 2011b). As a retiring type this makes me nervous. I am concerned about privacy and making an idiot of myself. But in the writing world Twitter is an ideal way to build your profile and connect with readers as its medium is concise text (Woodhead, 2011b).

I am keen to master Twitter and use it as a marketing tool.  It would help if I bought a mobile phone, I guess, and learnt to use it. As a budding T/L and blogger I see merit in Linked In, Delicious and Flickr. All I ask for is the time to master these tools. Then hopefully I could be a connected professional librarian and a marketing success.

References

Baverstock, A.(2011). Using Facebook to Promote Yourself as a Writer. Writers’ Forum #115, June

De Rosa, C., Cantrell, J., Havens, A., Hawk, J. & Jenkins, L. (2007). Sharing privacy and trust in our networked world: A report to the OCLC membership. Dublin, Ohio: OCLC. [ebook] Available http://www.oclc.org/reports/pdfs/sharing.pdf

Woodhead, R. (2011a). Facebook: Share but Beware. Writing Magazine, May

Woodhead, R. (2011b). Build Your Profile on Twitter. Writing Magazine, Feb

 

No comments:

Post a Comment