Friday, April 18, 2014

Mods 3 and 4 ETL504

It is taking a while to internalise all the readings for these two modules, nevertheless I'm determined to jot down a few comments.
   Firstly on leadership for learning...
   It's clear that leaders need to be learners and that they act as models of lifelong learning for colleagues and pupils alike. But teachers generally work alone and are not privy to how others do things (such as manage classes, present material, use new technology). They can also be possessive of their own teaching strategies and are reluctant to have people observing their classes. I can relate to this. It seems as if the pressure is on when there's another adult in the room. I did do some team teaching in my first year out when I taught environmental science. I got on tremendously well with my colleague and the two of us planned many class outings and projects for the students. Two heads were definitely better than one.
   Now I am not teaching any longer I am out of touch with all the professional development that teachers have to do. As I only have provisional registration I don't have to do the compulsory hours every year. I have to land a job first and then work towards getting full registration. This would entail working with a mentor which is an idea I am open to now after doing all these readings.
   The second topic is communication...
   I don't enjoy public speaking. I don't enjoy talking. I often tangle my words and say things I regret. I much prefer the written word as a medium of communication. I looked through these reading with a growing sense of dread. I am such a loser when it comes to dealing with other people. I avoid conflict at all costs. I don't listen as fully as I ought and that's not just because I'm becoming deaf in my later years. I know I tune out if I'm not interested. How many times at staff meetings have I indulged in day-dreaming? Too many. How many times do I simply not register that people are talking to me because I am absorbed in some task? Daily. How often have I got facts wrong because I jump to conclusions? Too often to count.
   If anything this module has given me the courage to do three things.
1. Give people my full attention and ask them questions.
2. Be determined not to take things personally and therefore act defensively, thus inflaming situations.
3. Try to think of seven different ways of looking at things, and hence find a win/win solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment